Saturday, August 13, 2011

Recently, my parents came down for a visit.


We had something to celebrate.


This guy's 11th birthday.


It's hard to imagine that my baby is 11 years old.  It seems like these years have flown by.  He is growing into such wonderful young man.  He's so polite, helpful and funny.  He seems to have inherited a very off-the-wall sense of humor.  That's a good thing...I think. :0) I see another change taking place in him lately.  You know the changes that signal that they're maturing into a new phase and leaving a little bit more of your 'baby' behind?  Yeah, that kind.  It's really bitter-sweet. {Now I'm totally singing Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You" in my head. Sorry...}

He had a very low-key birthday this year - just like he wanted.  His grandparents went with us to eat at his favorite Mexican restaurant.  Then we came home to open presents and have cake and ice cream.  He told me it was the best birthday he's ever had - having all of his grandparents with him.  My parents came down for his birthday a few years ago and we had a party with kids, games and the whole she-bang then.  I asked him if this year was better than that.  He said it was because - get this - it was just with the people he loves most in the world.  Sniff, sniff... For him, nothing could top an intimate birthday with those closest to him.  Sometimes he still amazes me.

I love this picture.  It's the only one of him and his grandparents. (Neither of us got to meet his other papaw before he went to heaven.  That's a reunion we still have to look forward to.)


So, here's to savoring every moment, because each phase passes way to quickly and I don't want to miss a single instant...

Pam

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Happy (belated) birthday to him! You're right about the moments flying by - my "baby" is 10 and I just can't believe it. When I think how old she'll be in 10 more years ... well, I just don't want to do that. I don't want to miss an instant either!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like chocolate - totally addicting! Thanks for supporting my habit!